Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Is this just me?

Part 1:
The other day I was hanging out with some people and I realized that I had been spaced out for a while trying to analyze these people. However I wasn't analyzing them for their good and bad qualities as people, because I love them dearly as friends, but instead I was analyzing their relationships. I started to think that this was semi strange, I realize it isn't something that everyone does, I just thought I would post about it so that people could see how I think sometimes.

So what happened this night, We were watching the T.V show "How I Met Your Mother"and it was an episode that I had seen multiple times, so instead I just started looking at the relationships between different people. This was very interesting for me to do because I wasn't analyzing so that I could make judgements upon them, instead I was analyzing for myself. I have noticed that whenever I see a relationship between two people I start to see who is the more dominant or submissive, and who is the one that think's they are smarter than the other, and other things along this line. Now this sounds like I was judging them and the people I was, have, and always will analyze. I do this because in all of these relationships I pick them apart in my head and realize which I like and which I don't. I realize that this is how I personally make relationships, friendships or romantic relationships. I find things in relationships that I like and that work well for me.
An example of this would be that I saw some people act ditsy or a little less knowledgable around certain people when I personally know that person to be very intelligent. It's weird how we decide that doing this with certain people creates and holds those relationships, but from watching this I realized that all of my friends I encourage to think more and try to increase their knowledge as well as mine, I like to be able to have very intellectual conversations.

I'm not sure how much of this makes sense, because it may make sense to me but not other people so here is a shorter version of all of that. I find things in other peoples relationships that I like and try to find relationships of my own that include those aspects.

Also this came to my attention of how true love can exist, is when most, if not all, of these aspects you want in a relationship is shared by both people in the relationship. This, in my eyes, is true love because it's almost as if you are the same person, with minor variations, just different sexes (or in some cases the same sex I guess)




Part 2:
While I was thinking about true love this night I remembered the Oedipus Rex complex that Freud came up with that every man is secretly in love with his mother. I thought about this and I personally don't think it is being in love with their mother in a romantic way, or wanting to marry someone like your mother. I think of this more as you want someone like your mother not because of your mother but because of what she gives you.

I love my mother more than anything, and I realize that I will want to be with someone like her when I get older. Not in the sense of just like my mum but instead because my mum truly loves me (haha yea that just happened for those of you that get the joke). Because as I grew up my mum was always there to help me through everything, I may have been a total douche towards her sometimes but she knows that I love her just like I know she loves me. I realize that this Oedipus Rex complex was created because a mother is most often the first person that will truly love you more than anything in the world. It's not because you are romantically attracted to your mother, but instead its because you want a person in your life later on in life that will love you as much as your mother loved you. Considering everything I have put both my parents through, and how much they love me (or at least how much I hope they love me). I will be lucky to find a woman later on in life that will love me as much as they do.

The best part about this is that I hope that one day I will be half the parent that my parents are to me, because I want to make my child(ren) feel as loved as I do in my life.

(Note: I am also very thankful for everyone else in my family, not just my parents, because they all are the most supportive and loving people I think I will ever meet in my lifetime)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I hope people that read this will take the time every now and then to tell their parents how much they appreciate them (if not your parents, someone in your life that you love immensely). Because even if it is out of the blue or just a "Thank you for Everything" it will mean a lot to them.






I hope all my readers enjoy this Double post, and forgive me for taking forever to post a new blog post :)
-Dan

2 comments:

  1. dan this is great. for part 1: i totally agree, i analyze people all the time, not judgementally but if they say something dumb that they are saying out of influence of the people around them i think to myself... wait... did you really just say that? come on now. its the irrational part of me (and you, seeing as we're bro and sis, so probs pete as well) that just wants to yell when someone changes their opinion to suit others, or agrees with you when they just said the opposite, its infuriating! so that kinda relates to your part 1.
    as for part 2: i think we all understand that you dont mean romancing our mum hahahaha. but a friend of mine told me last year that someone once told him that hed end up marrying someone just like his SISTER. like, personality wise, etc, cause i mean. 1. sisters are always awesome. and 2. if you get along with them why wouldnt you want to spend the rest of your life with someone like that? love you too dan, even tho you annoy the hell out of me and vice versa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan - Your best one yet. I couldn't agree more.
    Annie - No one wants you.

    ReplyDelete