Sunday, November 14, 2010

What would the world be?

Ok so before I post this I have to let you all know that this is not my theory on anything but more just me giving a topic for people to think about.

So today at dinner with my family I randomly sparked a conversation about dogs and dog breeding. Now as we all know there are hundreds of types of dogs in the world, same breed and mix breed. Now think about how we do this, we tend to get two dogs that are healthy and are of the same species (or different depending on the outcome we want) and that are good looking dogs and then we breed them to get more dogs of the same. In most cases we decide on what kind of dog we want and how we want it to look based on which parents we choose to breed. We neuter the dogs we don't want breeding and a lot of the time we leave the dogs that people raise to be show dogs untouched so that we may breed them and create more show dogs.

Ok so now that you have that in your head think about it. We control the majority of the population of domestic dogs throughout the world. We do this because we want a certain kind of dog. Now this was where our conversation at dinner stopped, however my thoughts kept going. I started thinking about the human race, how we have a handful of different races, however all these races look super similar to each other. And I know that this isn't happening right now and I personally do not believe it ever will but what if there was a species that controlled us? What if we were bred a certain way to create certain offspring? Yes this does happen in a small population of the world due to arranged marriages in a way, but just take some time next chance you get and think about it. What would the world be for us, as humans, if we were bred a specific way to get specific results? And then realize how lucky we actually are to be able to decide who we choose to mate, of course its hopefully consensual for both parties, but just think about it. Because I'm sure if you ask your parents (if you can) or ask a couple who are madly in love and are having children or not, in that person's eyes they are reproducing more champions for the world.

I just thought this was a great thought and made me realize how glad I am to be human and to have free will. Of course the search is agonizing and sometimes I do wish that someone else could just do it for me as do a lot of people (hence online match making and friends setting friends up on blind dates). But I have to imagine that at the end I will create my own little champions, as I hope the rest of you reading this will too.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, as it was my favorite post that I have written so far.

-Dan

1 comment:

  1. We do that. How many Nobel laureates have married red-necks? How often do movie stars marry non-celebrities? People choose people similar to themselves to "mate" with, as they are the person they feel most compatible and similar to. Subsequently, while we don't look different, everyone is different from one another in every possible manner, except for the people they are closest to; their "mates."

    Also, without being racist, how many times have you, as a caucasian male, seen an African-American or Asian person, then seen another, and honestly thought they looked exactly the same? It happens between races all the time. The only difference for us towards dogs is that they are a different species. (If you want a funny example of this, check out Arrested Development, season 1, episode 5, 'Charity Drive').

    ReplyDelete